Pinterest

Monday, January 6, 2014

January Tim Holtz Tags of 2014



  
I am excited to begin January by participating in Tim Holtz's Tags of 2014.  I meade several last year, but I didn't finish all of them.  I hope to complete all 12 tags this year.  I did not have all of the necessary supplies or equipment, but I think I managed to convey the overall theme of time of the first tag of the year.

I started by spraying a tag overlaid with a stencil and then I inked the edges for a darker look.  I added Tim Holtz large number rubons to the side and then sanded the numbers with the TH sanding block.  I added a little metallic distress stain to add to the grungy look.


 
The timepiece was a challenge because I left the Vagabond at our store for the weekend (We use it to emboss metal in our bead and jewelry store, www.drygulch.com).  I had to get creative without any embossing folders.  I found a clock rubber stamp and I embossed it with silver onyx embossing powder.  I did have Tim Holtz mirrored sheets so I freehanded the silver watch case and hammered it for texture. I added a few tiny gears too.  A die cut piece would definitely look more professional, but I think it turned out just fine.
 
 
For the charm at the top of the tag, I added 2014 rubons to a porcelain Tim Holtz charm and then attached it to the ribbon with a vintage style pin. 
 
 
 
I usually use Distress ink to edge my pieces, but I wanted something even darker for the edges of this calendar.  I had never tried using acrylic paint for this, but I found out that it works just fine.  Mine is definitely different than Tim's tag, but I think you can see the inspiration.  Now we just have to wait until February first!

2 comments: